Monday, October 6, 2008

The Car Trip

By Sarah Samuels

It was finally happening I thought. After weeks of planning we were finally going camping, by ourselves. It was my best friend Sadhbh, Sadhbh’s annoying little sister Maeve, and me. I was diving into the unexplored thoughts about the trip we were making when I was suddenly brought back to reality with the high pitched, 8 year old voice of Maeve. “Are we there yet?” she whined.
“No!” Sadhbh snapped. It was common knowledge that Sadhbh and Maeve, although they were sisters they despised each other. Well it was to be expected; Sadhbh and Maeve although they had tried for their parent’s sake just couldn’t get along.
I had been over millions of times and knew both sides of the story. I knew how to solve arguments right before they happened. The key was, distraction. “Want some gum?” I asked suddenly butting on Maeve’s unfinished sentence. I shook the pack tempting her to take a piece. “Sure.” said Sadhbh and took a small wrapped up piece of gum dramatically from the package. “I want some too!” whined Maeve
“No!” Sadhbh said, “You can’t.”
“Can to!” yelled Maeve
“Can Not!” yelled Sadhbh in return “Your not old enough and you’re already rotting out your teeth.”
“ I Want Some GUM!” screamed Maeve. Without hesitation she started screaming and banging her hands and feet all over the car.
“Oh Maeve.” I said reaching in the pack for another piece to give to her
“No.” said Sadhbh sternly “ She’ll never learn her lesson if you give her what she wants.”
After an hour of screaming, Maeve finally gave up. I was looking out the window gazing at all the things I would draw. Suddenly we passed a sign “Now Entering Black Wood Campgrounds.” We were there.

No comments: