Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Butterfly

By Jasmin Gutierrez

It was a warm, sunny day, with light winds coming by every once in a while. I was sitting by the riverside, throwing small pebbles in the water. I could hear some birds singing, but they were so far away, and their song barely reached my ears.

It had been days or even weeks since I’d seen any of my people or any animals even. I’d been lonely and empty for a while now. I didn’t’ know how I got here, but I knew I was lost with no way out, and surrounded by the world of green, trapped in the center of the forest.

I was in a deep sleep when something tickled my ear. I rubbed my eyes, and turned to lie on my back. My eyes opened in shock as soon as I saw it. It was a butterfly. She was beautiful, colored in with bright colors, and she danced around me joyfully. I finally got the strength, and stood on my feet. I took a step forward, as I tried to touch her, but she moved forward as well. I took several steps, and stretched my arm out to feel her wings, but again, she too moved forward.

After some time, I realized I was running. I ran with all my strength, following her to the unknown. As I ran, everything was a blur except the butterfly. I didn’t know why I was chasing her, but I knew that I had to keep going.

After running like the wind, I stopped, and I was there. I saw my cousins having a picnic down the hill, by the river. A smile grew across my face, and I turned to thank the butterfly, but it was gone, and that was the last time I ever saw a butterfly.

No comments: